Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I Am A Stupid Runner

I am not a runner. I pretend I am. I wish I was. I dream of being one.
But when push comes to shove, I really suck at running and am pretty stupid when I do run.

Case in point: I just got back from a run. It's 5:20pm and +90* and JULY
See where my brains are lacking!
To add to it, I have not run in over a month, and I decided to do my loop which is around 2.5-3 miles.
To you REAL runners out there, this is pathetic. 
To runners like me, this is a descent run!

So here is my advice based off of experience on running!
(Keep in mind, if you are a REAL runner, this obvious doesn't apply to you because you know what you are doing!).

DON'T RUN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH
(this doesn't mean eat right before you run, but make sure you have had something about an hour before).
STAY HYDRATED
(before, during--if needed--and after. If you are going on a shorter run, you probably won't need much during.
For a longer run, you may need to drink during or add electrolytes ((found in drinks like Gatorade))
 to keep your body the fine tuned machine it is!).
KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR HEART RATE
(I have a heart rate monitor and I know my maximum heart rate I should be hitting is 190. 
((to find yours, just go 220 - your age))
When I'm running, I like to keep mine between 160 to 180. Today I found mine hitting 190. 
This was accompanied by tingling in my arms and legs. I took this as a sign to slow down and walk for a minute or two until my heart was back to a safer 170. Then I picked it up again. 
Whether you have a monitor or not, listen to your body and take a break if a break is needed. In the end, my "breaks" added only 2 minutes to my goal time. Not too bad and helped me avoid fainting!).
HAVE FUN
(I see no point in doing something that makes me miserable. If I run with good music and at a pace of my choosing, I actually enjoy myself and find I can go farther than if I have no music or am trying to keep up with someone. If you love to push yourself, PUSH YOURSELF! Make it enjoyable to you and it's more likely to become a great habit!).

Alright! There's my very on professional advice on running!

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment