Saturday, February 27, 2010

Shell Ride

I just got back from my second ride! It was back in Katy, starting again at Katy Mills Mall. Our options were a 46 miler or a 63 miler. I went with full intentions of riding 63 miles, but at the 20 mile break area, I was pretty sure it wasn't going to happen, and at the turn off for the longer miles, I had missed the cut off time for the suggested distance goers by 15 minutes, and no other riders were heading that way, so I knew I would inevitably get lost. As a result, I rode the shorter distance with my friend Liz (she's the reason I signed up for the MS 150) and it was really fun. We kept pace together rather well, and it was nice to chat with someone, making the time and miles fly by!

My stats:

Miles: 50 (I did some laps around the mall to make me feel better!)
Time: 3 hr 45 min (that's with the rest stops)
Ave Speed: 16.5 mph
Top Speed: 25.5 mph
Calories burned: 1950

I started out behind my friend Nate, and kept pace with him for about the first 15 miles. We were cruising at 2o+ mph and it was really fun, but after some time I was really starting to feel it. We hit a turn where a bunch of riders had to turn around (because they went too far), and we got split and then BAM the headwind kicked it. (It's truly amazing how nice a tail wind is!) Not long after I completely lost him, I ran into my friend Liz. And we basically rode together the rest of the way. It really is fun riding with someone. Keeping pace with the faster riders is excellerating and hard, and I can do it, but not for the whole time. It was cool seeing the difference from this ride from the last. I'm definitely more comfortable on my bike, and still have lucked out with no flat tires and no falls! I did nail my shin with my pedal, but I can take a bruise!

No comments:

Post a Comment